Welcome to Episode 4 of The Startup Chat with Steli and Hiten. Today we’re talking all about giving and receiving advice. Both of us get a lot of advice and give a lot of advice in business.
First, remember that advice is a 2 way street
- Don’t ask someone advice on how they did something, but on how You Should Do something.
- Don’t spend too much time telling the backstory behind it. You need just enough information to give informed advice, but this can be a way of steering a conversation and asking probing questions.
- Get advice from someone one step ahead of you, and give advice to people one step behind you. Otherwise it’s just inspiration.
- Have it be timely, something the person you’re giving it to can actually take action on. People too far away from a problem just can’t relate to what problems you’re facing.
- Focus on the Framework, not just the specific target you’re trying to achieve of that question.
- The best advice is when someone guides you through how to think about a problem, asks good questions, and removes barriers between a current situation and the future goals.
In the end, we’re just trying to help people be a better version of themselves.
Tips of the Week
Steli: If you’re seeking advice, at the end of an interaction think of the one thing you can take action on immediately.
Hiten: Have a defined purpose and intent before going in to a meeting.
If you’re enjoying the show head over to iTunes and leave us a 5-star review. You’ll be joining countless other uber-successful startup founders in doing so.
Want Steli & Hiten to record more episodes of The Startup Chat?
Help us promote the podcast by subscribing on iTunes and writing a review! After you’ve published your review, send us an email with your mailing address. You’ll get Steli’s book The Ultimate Startup Guide to Outbound Sales + a free 15 minute call with either Hiten or Steli to talk about your business (limited availability; first come, first serve). Click here to make it happen!